Thursday, February 7, 2013
February 3rd: Flights from Boston to Dublin
We boarded the Hilton shuttle to Logan around 6am Sunday morning and arrived at a pleasantly empty international terminal at Logan. There was NO line at security! I wish that I had taken a photo of this as it's an oddity to see such an empty airport. I did take a photo of Ruben enjoying his breakfast at the terminal.
We boarded our flight on British Airways early and took our seats in Premium Economy. These seats cost a bit more than economy but far less than business or first class. We purchased mostly at my insistence because they promised greater legroom and personal space. Our area of the plane had a 2seats - 4 seats - 2 seats configuration with Ruben and I sitting on the far right side 2 seat area with me next to the window. There were welcome packets containing a blanket, pillow, toothbrush and toothpaste, socks, and eye visor awaiting us in our seats. The stewardess brought around free newspapers - The Daily Mail and the Irish Sun.
I am thrilled with our seats on the plane. Lots of legroom and personal space ... except I have to keep moving Ruben's stuff back to his side. The game, television (Red Dwarf to name one), music (we can listen to full albums of music), and movie selection is amazing. Each seat has its own entertainment console to watch, play, and listen to whatever you want. I love controlling my own destiny :) I know one movie that I want to watch - The Seven Psychopaths.
We're getting a full breakfast with sausage, scrambled eggs, ham, mushrooms, tomatoes, yogurt, bread, jam, and a cheese danish. I'm glad that I didn't eat in the terminal. The food is very good and wonder of wonders, we are given real - not plastic - utensils.
Ruben is watching The Trouble with the Curve and I'm watching The Seven Psychopaths. I didn't realize that The Seven Psychopaths was a comedy. Or maybe it's not and I have a twisted sense of humor. I must have laughed out loud because one of the stewardesses came by and asked if I'd be interested in filling out a survey. I said "sure" and put the survey aside to return to watching my movie. Maybe it will be a guarantee of good service.
I finish watching The Seven Psychopaths and move on to watch Lincoln. I told Ruben after watching Lincoln that I was struck with the greatness of Lincoln and the people surrounding him at the time. His pursuit of the passing of the 13th amendment while embroiled in the Civil War shows a bull-headed determination and clarity of purpose. I enjoyed discovering Senator Thaddeus Stevens and the only fact that I could quote about Secretary of State Seward was that he negotiated the purchase of Alaska (the so-called "Seward's Folly"). I didn't know that he was instrumental in helping to get the 13th amendment approved.
Watching these two movies made the flight pass incredibly quickly. We had to circle around Heathrow for a bit because the airport was jammed but we arrived not too much later than our scheduled time. The rest of the night was a bit more chaotic and stressful.
Our flight to Dublin was delayed and no gate was shown when we arrived.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment