Monday, February 11, 2013
February 11th: I speak to the local genealogist
I was in a bit of a funk this morning after weighing myself so Ruben persuaded me to go into town and speak with the local genealogist, John Tuohy. We were first informed about Mr. Tuohy by the local grocer at Moroney's. We stopped into the grocer's again this morning and he asked if we had spoken with Mr. Tuohy. When we said that we had not, he offered to call Mr. Tuohy, which he did and we popped round next door to speak with Mr. Tuohy.
I told Mr. Tuohy that I was seeking the birth village of my ancestors, the Brownriggs who emigrated around 1853 to Quebec, Canada. There was John Brownrigg, who was born about 1783 and his children, John, George, William, and Anastasia.
Mr Tuohy said that he had only heard of that surname once before and it was of a Catholic Bishop Ossuary for Waterford who lived around 1920. We then chatted about the services in Waterford and he recommended that I call first before going there. He said that they had baptismal records going back to 1780. Unfortunately, a lot of records were lost in the revolution of 1920.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment